Jay Smith wrote:

> On Mon Feb 12 15:42 , Nick Zentena  sent:
>
> =
>>      Might help if you mentioned carrier and type of service.
>>

> You are right, I am currently looking at VZW and their Broadband Access.

Jay..

Sorry I was seem to be asleep on the job ;^) I have been using the
Sierra Aircard 860 using Cingulars ~60/month service under Suse 10.1 for
over a year now. They recently updated my service (in CT) so now I am
getting around 50 - 100 KBytes/sec on large downloads. On 10.1 I had to
add the card to the kernel (serial_cs.c) or I could have renamed the
driver 850 and that was already in the kernel. I assume that the 860 is
already in the kernel that is being used for 10.2. Nice thing about the
860 is that it has an external antenna. because of the distance to the
water I have an antenna about 20 feet up and picked a bunch of db (
can't remember exactly but it was worth it).

The only negative I have on the service is that 25% of the time when I
am downloading podcasts using amarok the whole systems seems to go into
limbo. Only takes a second to reset it. I haven't spent the time to
figure it out yet as not really an issue.

On the hardware side I have 2 negatives. the first is I cannot find a
router that will support the 860 (Other then the Top Global MB6000/8000)
for a decent price. The MB6000 is ~300.

The second issue is that although it works great in the laptop and I do
sharing so the desktop can use it, I have not been able to get the
desktop along with PCMCIA/PCI adapter (One that is supposed to work). I
will say I haven't tried for a while and was sorta waiting until I moved
to 10.2 (or finding a cheap router) to try again...

There is a pretty good 'Cool Solution' on Novell's site on setting the
860 up with 10.1..
(http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/17191.html) Just sub the
860 for the 775.

I am one of those that really didn't have a choice, as the marina that
we currently live at does not have phone or cable run on the docks...
And I have major philosophical problems with the satellite companies
charging all that money just to bandwidth cap or in one case have in
their eula, kick you off the service. Sorry I'll get off the soapbox ;^)

If you have any questions or need any help feel free to email me...

- --
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

?To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only
unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American
public.? [Theodore Roosevelt] 1918

Adolph & Sharon Weidanz                         SuSE 10.1
'78 43' Endeavour Ketch                         [EMAIL PROTECTED] Team 45
S/V Time To Paws