* Billie Erin Walsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [02-25-07 22:11]:
> Hogwash!

  :^)

> If I need access to something on a floppy drive why should I need to be
> "root" to get access?

you don't.

> If I need to shut down MY computer for some reason why do I need root
> access?

you don't.

> If I had a company and one of my employees needed something off a floppy
> I would hate to think they would have to wait hours for IT to get around
> to getting them access. It might just mean the difference in a sale or not.
>
> I can appreciate the need for "some" of the access restrictions in unix
> like systems. Mostly they are used in a business situation. You don't
> want every jack leg in the place screwing with the company system. I am
> not in an office/company situation. I'm in a home computer situation.
> I'm the only person that ever touches this computer. There should be
> some "switch" somewhere that will allow for home use.

There is, but not just one.

You are the administrator of *your* machine.  Set it up however you
want it and quit complaining.  You can set sudo to run w/o a password
and run anything root owns.  You can open all your devices to the whole
world.  Security on your machine is your prerogative.

It doesn't come that way because *most* situations do not warrent that
much openness.

Do your own thing.

And the 'switch' your looking for is present.  It allows power to flow
to the components of your computer.

HOG # US1244711         Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
        OpenSUSE Linux             http://en.opensuse.org/