On 2/27/07, ken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 02/27/2007 05:58 AM somebody named Tony Alfrey wrote:
> John Andersen wrote:
>> On Monday 26 February 2007, Jan Tiggy wrote:
>>> WTF cares about what distro? We just need mashines especially laptops
>>> checked  against linux.
>>
>> Exactly.    If dell had to stand behind their warranty for linux they
>> wouldn't
>> be jamming ATI cards into the machines without dragging ATI through a
>> knothole to get the drivers working and easy to install.
>
> Yes, I had noticed that they were offering ATI cards and that was making
> me uncomfortable after hearing all of the angst about getting these to
> work on a linux box.

I've been using ATI cards with Linux almost exclusively since '92 and
have never had a problem any of them.  (Got a Matrox card once, just to
try something different.)

My last Suse install had problems recognizing my ATI card, so I had to
hand-edit xorg.conf, but that's not the card's fault.

Lately I helped a friend preparing a media center. And again I was
proven right to prefer nvidia. Their dirvers are much better than
ATIs, and their support (forums, etc.) is much better. Their drivers
are much more flexible in order to control TV output, etc. ATI are way
behind. Just a personal opinion, but my luck was always better with
nVidia.

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Even the most advanced equipment in the hands of the ignorant is just
a pile of scrap.