|-----Original Message-----
|From: Adrian Vraciu
|It depends wat version of gcc you want. Generally, is not a
|good idea to downgrade the compiler because the binaries from
|your system are compiled with the  gcc that comes with the
|system. So, if you downgrade the gcc you could experience
|problems with the compatibility with current binaries.
|First, you have to interest that binaries built with gcc 4.1
|are comaptible with binaries built with gcc 3.x. More about
|that you can find at www.gentoo.org or gentoo official forum.
|
|On Wednesday 28 February 2007 01:18:36 pm Donato Azevedo wrote:
|> Hi guys,
|> I'd like to know if there's a way to downgrade gcc from 4.1 to 3.X.
|>
|> I mean a manageable way, in the sense that I need not compile a new
|> gcc and remove the old one by hand.

You can use environment modules:
http://www-theor.ch.cam.ac.uk/IT/software/modules.html

Install separate instances of the software under /opt
and play with the environment variables like PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH etc.

I went through the same process back during the Redhat RH2.1 to RH3 transisiton.
glibc3.3 where not compatible with glibc3.2 so we used modules to
manage to run expensive HPC software not yet released/compiled for RH3.

--
MortenB