In the past 24 hours with my x86-64 10.2 I had a kooka freeze-up, a vmware
freeze-up, a video dvd playing freeze-up, about 6 or 7 firefox freeze-ups,
access to a windoze computer shared folder freeze-up, about 3 konq
freeze-ups, need alsaconf almost every time a "new" application requests
sound, always have to reset volume down from max  and so on...
it is windoze95 all over again!!!!!
I know, "there is something seriously wrong with my system",  I will adress
that, also I know that individual apps are not a SuSE problem, however:
1.  the same does *not* happen with older versions of SuSE in the very same
hardware (ok, it's on a different partition, but that;s the only diff).
2. The installation is a standard SuSE installation, with the additon of
kernel sources (for vmware compilation) and multimedia from packman and the
removal of beagle.
3. This is the only SuSE system besides 10.1 where a reboot "makes things ok
for a while, then shtuff lapses into an almost predictable pattern of
problems". 10.1 is guilty too, but does the dirty deed with much less
frequency.
4. I am fully aware that vista is not the solution to my problems and i can
not accept xp as my os of choice despite it's remarkable maturity.

so i plead to all who have a say on what actually comes out as "working
software":
1. STABILITY is more important than features.
 2. It is WRONG to rely on the speed of new hardware to make up for bad
programming. It is absolutely ridiculous that the word processors of today
take gigabytes of space and googles of cpu cycles just to load a plain
document template. Yes, there is nothing wrong with using "standardized"
software blocks for "standardized" operations in a program, but this has been
abused to the max and it is perhaps the most important reason that almost
every package is a rube goldberg of bits of this and parts of that, all
spread out over a few dozen libs and scripts, all loaded with useless
baggage...
 3. simple is ok.
thanks,
d.