Rajko M. wrote:
On Saturday 03 March 2007 09:25, Peter Breger wrote:
Ok - I admit it was the powerline networking. I should have known better
.. sigh ... Went out and bought xxx m of ethernet cable for up and down
the stairs across the corridors - now pc boots with DHCP no problem.

Question now: What do I need to get the powerline converter working in
linux? (Ethernet cable to powerplug converter is from ACER)

Here you would need some expert for for networks :-)
This is from one of the earlier posts:

eth0 device: 3Com [and all kinds of bla bla on hardware card]
eth0 configuration: eth-bus-pci-0000:00:0f.0
eth0 (DHCP) . . . . . no IP address yet ... backgrounding.
eth0 dhcpcd is still waiting for data
 waiting
eth0 interface could not be set up until now.

Thanks - I shall give that a try later and investigate the applicable driver for powerline cases. Anybody out there who has done this sort of thing before for networking via powerline - there was a post 03852 on 26 Sept 2003 at 23:10, so maybe someone solved this sort of thing before?

Regards,
Peter