James D. Parra wrote:

Set up your Suse box to be the DHCP server an disable the service on your
Motorola. It is easy to do in Yast and should solve your problems.
That would be nice but not practical.  The SuSE box is my sons PC which
is dual boot with Windows XP so it can't be relied on for serving DHCP.
The only other computer that could be used is the Ultra 20 with Solaris
10.  Making it a DHCP server wouldn't be too hard but I can't do that.
I am preparing the Ultra 20 to be my home router instead of the Motorola
box.  Right now the Ultra 20 is on the inside of my home net and is set
to get its address by DHCP because eventually it will be getting its
address from Comcast by DHCP.  For now the configuration I have to use
is with the Ultra 20 DHCP and all other PCs fixed address.  The other
PCs don't have any need to be DHCP and it makes sure that the Ultra 20
will always get the same address.

I suppose you might be thinking "why am I trying to do with Solaris what
is a piece of cake with SuSE?"  For me this is mostly an excercise in
learning Solaris.  I am in a new group at work that is using a lot of
Solaris so I am trying to learn some things on my own.  There is
actually a small need in one lab to make a Solaris NAT router but no
one wants to bother spending the time to figure out how to do it.
The sad part is that I have had this Ultra 20 for a year and have
gotten it to be a decent Samba server but have never figured out how
to make ipfilter do a NAT router/firewall

Damon Register