On Wednesday 07 March 2007 10:00:17 am Phil Savoie wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> How does one save security setting with a wireless device?  Seems that my
> nic always connects to the neighbours unsecured wireless router.  Every
> time I start up I have to go into yast and configure the security settings.
>  It doesn't seem to save.
>
> Is there a way to save the settings?

Yes - it is kind of hokey but this will work.  I had the same problems with my
local network. I kept logging into my neighbors' networks.

First off, enable KWallet.  This is the tool which will store your passwords.
In my systems, KWallet is run with a blank password.

When you login to your local network with the WEP or WPA password, then
KWallet should pick up your password and store it.

You will then be able to re-login and should connect without a problem.

This worked for me on 10.1 until recently. For some reason - after a SMART
update - I can no longer login with a password on my network. I tried a few
things (see the emails KNetworkmanager Wierdness last week in the archives)
but had no success.

To get around it, I did a few things. I took off my password on my WiFi. I
enabled MAC detection to only allow my laptops. I also disabled ESSID
broadcasting, so I have to know what the WiFi network is.

So far, I haven't had anybody login, and I don't expect to.

--
kai

Free Compean and Ramos
http://www.grassfire.org/142/petition.asp