Randall R Schulz wrote:
> So I take it you didn't build this system yourself? Replacing RAM is not
> that big of a deal, but if you want to take advantage of the
> manufacturer's warranty, then I guess it doesn't really matter.

If it's Dell, they probably *will* ask you to open the machine up and
swap modules around and such.  They always have when I've called with
this sort of problem.  They don't seem to have a problem with end users
opening the case.

A word of warning: If Dell's own diagnostic program doesn't see the
problem, you will have  a very hard time getting them to correct it.  I
had a Dell laptop that crashed repeatedly in Windows XP.  They kept
asking me to do system restores, which didn't fix the problem.  Their
diagnostics didn't see anything wrong with the hardware.  Eventually I
found it ran fine if I removed one of the memory modules, and that the
problem followed the socket, not the module.  I successfully convinced
them to replace the motherboard, which turned out to have a bad memory
socket, but it was an uphill struggle.