On Sunday 11 March 2007, Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
> Søndag 11 marts 2007 10:47 skrev John Andersen:
> > On Sunday 11 March 2007, David Brodbeck wrote:
> > > Unfortunately it seems cifs isn't quite ready for primetime yet and is
> > > lacking some functionality that's in smbfs.
> >
> > The only thing it lacks IIRC is the ability to mount a
> > windows 9X share on the Linux machine.
> >
> > Mounting WinNT/2K/XP/Vista shares works but the
> > syntax is tricky.
> >
> > With cifs there is a good possibility to get rid of
> > nfs and all the coordination of user-ids that is required
> > for that.  cifs might not be QUITE as fast as nfs, but
> > it has a lot of other things going for it.
> >
> > So again, the only thing missing is mounting a win9x
> > share on linux.
> >
> > --
> > _____________________________________
> > John Andersen
>
> I use CIFS to mount a couple of SMB shares from my central file server into
> my
> laptop. I used to be able to run a script as an ordinary user (having chmod
> +2 some smbmount files) to accomplish this.
>
> - Now, I have to run the mounting scripts as root...annoying. What can I do?
>
> Here is the script:
> #!/bin/bash
> mount -t cifs //172.16.9.100/LNXfavk     /home/vk/Documents/sun/favk    -o
> username=vk,password=secret,workgroup=LINUXGROUP,rw
>
> This is from the directory containing it:
> -rwsr-sr-x 1 root users  898 18 dec 21:40 sun.sh

Well I do a similar thing for one of my customers machines.
I mount a samba share (from SLES 9) onto a subdirectory of his personal
directory.

It happens automatically at boot time.  We want the samba server to handle
permissions on its end
and hence we use the noperms parameter. Without that the local linux machine
attempts to manage
permissions on the samba server.  (Shades of nfs all over again).

This line appears in /etc/fstab on the workstation, mounting a share on the
machine named hai
(sorry, this is bound to wrap):
//hai/data           /home/benh/data      cifs
auto,user,uid=1000,gid=1003,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770,ip=192.168.0.1,noacl,noperm,nocase,credentials=/home/benh/benscreds
 1 2

If for some reason he unmounts that and has to remount it without a re-boot,
the "user" parameter is
given in fstab, and with kde, you can ask for an icon on the desktop to
mount/unmount that drive

(Configure Desktop /desktop/behavior/Device Icons/mounted+Unmounted samba
shares)

If there are some you don't want mounted automatically just remove the "auto"
parameter.

--
John Andersen