On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 18:07 -0500, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> On Sunday 11 March 2007 17:46, Mike McMullin wrote:
> > On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 14:06 +1100, Horst G. Burkhardt III wrote:
> > > I agree completely with John here.
> /snip/
> >   Not an argument but a comment here.  When I upgraded to XP from ME, I
> > had to downgrade my hardware because XP was less fault tolerant of my
> > RAM, and DVD/DVD-Burner setups.  10.0, my everyday boot, 10.2, my try it
> > and see boot, Ubuntu and LinuxXP had not problems what so ever.  Linux-4
> > Windows -1  :)
> >
> /snip/
>
> I Googled LinuxXP.  It looks like all the Windows apps they mention are run
> under WINE, but I'm not sure of that.  Altho I'm retired, and not doing
> engineering anymore, I notice the supported apps do not include AutoCad,
> which the WINE website says crashes the machine if you try to put text on
> your drawing.  So I assume it doesn't really run Windows apps directly.  I am
> curious as to the impression Mike has of this OS, which I had never heard of
> until now, and some more detail as to how it works.  When you say it "had not
> problems whatsoever," what did you do with it, and what did you use it for?
> I think many of us here would be interested.  Also, their FAQ says they use
> only GNOME, which always looked pretty ugly to me, and some commentators on
> this list say it bogs down badly if you have a few programs open.  A report
> on your experience in that area would be appreciated.

  It's based on FedoraCore3 and is supposed to be able to use and FC3
app.  It's slick and polished but immature IMO.  At the moment I'm
hammering away trying to get a decent version of HPLIP to install
without breaking the base, after that it'll be getting my web-cam up and
running.  BTW this is not "Free" Software, you buy a license to run it,
and pay extra for installation support.  No doubt I could add a YUM repo
or two, and may at some point to see if I can get the apps to dl/install
any faster.