Hi,

I'm having a dns problem with freshclam. Whenever it tries to check
for updates, it reports the following in it's log file:

WARNING: Can't query current.cvd.clamav.net
WARNING: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode.

(The fall back to http works, so the problem is minimal, but I would
like to fix the dns problem)

So:

# host -t txt current.cvd.clamav.net
current.cvd.clamav.net has no TXT record

This is in line with the freshclam problem, but:

# host -a current.cvd.clamav.net
Trying "current.cvd.clamav.net"
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;current.cvd.clamav.net.                IN      ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
current.cvd.clamav.net. 895     IN      TXT
"0.90:42:2690:1172752141:1"

Received 78 bytes from 192.168.0.99#53 in 21 ms

Hmm, there is the TXT record anyway, and right away:

# host -t txt current.cvd.clamav.net
current.cvd.clamav.net descriptive text "0.90:42:2690:1172752141:1"

This works for a while but after some time the previous response
reappears:

# host -t txt current.cvd.clamav.net
current.cvd.clamav.net has no TXT record

So freshclam keeps giving the Warnings...

This is on an OpenSuse 10.2 server, which communicates with a
firewall/dns-server (also OpenSuse 10.2). The firewall/dns-server
machine doesn't have the same symptoms, there the 'host -t txt
current...' command gets the correct response every time. However a
Suse 9.0 server on the same network has the same problem!?

What could be the problem? And how do I fix it?

Met vriendelijke groet / Best regards,
Wilfred van Velzen

--

SERCOM Regeltechniek b.v.
Heereweg 9

<http://www.sercom.nl/>

Op al onze offertes, op alle opdrachten aan ons en op alle met ons gesloten
overeenkomsten zijn toepasselijk de METAALUNIEVOORWAARDEN, gedeponeerd ter
Griffie van de Rechtbank te Rotterdam, zoals deze luiden volgens de
laatstelijk aldaar neergelegde tekst. De leveringsvoorwaarden worden u op
verzoek toegezonden.