Gaƫl Lams wrote:
> [...]
> I will have to rebuild kernel to be used in VMWare guests for various
> servers (and rebuild them after each kernel security updates), I'm
> interesting in understanding and testing the whole procedure.

As I wrote in my last email, there are several ways to deal with this
problem. If you have to support many systems and not just your local
desktop system, then the simplest way might be an RPM package that
replaces the default usbcore.ko (from the SuSE kernel installation)
with a new (your own) version that has USB_DEVICEFS enabled. This might
minimize the possible side-effects as only a single file is changed.

> [...]
> I used to speak german. Would it be possible to have a link to this
> how-to? Maybe we could write something to be put on the OpenSUSE wiki.

This project started a long time ago when there were many questions on
suse-linux (the German mailing list, now opensuse-de) concerning the
SuSE kernel, kernel patches, recompiling a kernel, etc. As the
"official" German kernel howto was (and still is: Linux Kernel HOWTO
v0.80-3, 1. Juli 1998) out of date, I decided to write my own howto...
I could have written this howto in English - however, many people on
suse-linux mentioned that they have problems understanding technical
literature in English, so I decided to write it in German (I think,
there is quite a lot of kernel-related information available in English,
at least concerning the Vanilla kernel; and there is the nice document
"WORKING WITH THE SUSE 2.6.x KERNEL SOURCES" written by Andreas
Gruenbacher, http://www.suse.de/~agruen/kernel-doc/, also part of the
SuSE kernel sources: README.SUSE). Luigi di Lazzaro translated my little
howto into Italian. To cut a long story short, here it is:
http://www.thomashertweck.de/kernel26.html

Cheers, Th.