On Monday 12 March 2007, Jack Malone wrote:
> I’m looking for anyone backing up to a firewire type drive attached to a
> suse linux machine. I would love to attach a firewire drive to my server for
> backups. Firewire is pretty fast an can be moved from one machine to
> another.  If anyone using them how fast is the backup process . Can you give
> me times an amount of data being backup for info please.
>
> Thanks for info
>

> Jack Malone

I use this on my machines that have usb 1.1.
However for machines that have usb2, you will find that usb
is faster than firewire.

I backup using BRU, (paid - but worth the price) and it builds
a compressed tar-like file directly on the target drive, rather than
a file by file copy.  This allows me to stack several complete
backups onto an external drive.  http://www.bru.com/

I have one unit that has both a firewire and usb2 port.  Either
works fine, as long as I plug into a usb2 port on the computer.

I have another Western Digital "MyBook" which is usb2 only.
These are really great drives by the way.  They use intelligent
power on/power off, and work on windows or Linux.  Once my
BRU backups exceeded 4gig I had to repartition the drive
a smarter file system.  I just put Reiserfs on it because
imho its faster than snot.

--
John Andersen