Hello,

On Mar 12 23:47 Fred A. Miller wrote (shortened):
> On Monday 12 March 2007 9:56:09 pm Joseph Loo wrote:
> > Have you looked at the Lexmark site. They have a printer driver for linux.
> > I can not vuch how good it is but they are suppose to work okay.
>
> There is a driver "kit" available......no driver for the x4270,
> or not that I could find.

SCNR:

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Information_for_Printer_Manufacturers_Regarding_Linux_Support
Normally, proprietary Linux drivers are not interesting for users
either. Since the cost for a functional new printer is relatively
low, the effort and cost spent for a proprietary Linux driver may
seem a waste of time and money. What is more, using a proper printer
will solve the driver problem once and for all, as it will eliminate
the need for installing and configuring proprietary driver software
and obtaining driver updates required for new developments in the
print system (for example, see the article
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Problems_with_Lexmark_Drivers_under_SuSE_Linux_8.1
).

Regarding the old article about "Problems with Lexmark Drivers
under SuSE Linux 8.1": Even if current drivers from Lexmark
support CUPS, they may fail for whatever reason if something
in the print system is upgraded to a future version.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex