* jdd ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [20070311 13:01]:

> sorry if I seem silly, but how can any raid controller work without
> any software? if not in user space nor kernel space; it must be
> somewhere onboard?

That answer isn't that silly :) The hardware RAID controllers also need
software, but in the form of firmware onoard the controller, running on the
controllers (embedded) CPU.

This means that all operations are transparent to the OS, e.g. the OS only
sees the RAID device(s) and not the underlying drives.

Philipp