Phil Burness wrote:
I have a linux server in my study (upstairs) it has about 160GB of music on it. (Love Amarok)
I am learning to like it too

I have XP laptop downstairs (sound output connected to my amplifier).
I have a wireless connection between the two.
I have a very similar setup except that mine is wired.

I want to play the music on my Linux box via my XP machine through my amplifier downstairs when I'm not working in the study.
That's exactly what I do (except the server happens to be Solaris 10).

playlist configuring on the server, while I want to pick and choose from the XP machine.
Can anybody recommend an easy way to do this?
I am a little confused with the answers you have received so far.  I
could be wrong but I think you really don't want/need to stream.  I
believe that all you really need to do is just serve the files from
the Linux box and map net drive from the XP box then you can just
use any player you want (mine favorite is Winamp).  You will have
complete choice over your player and playlist.  I use Samba on the
server (Solaris) box and just use map network drive on the XP box.

Damon Register