I am another one who was having trouble with microphone input; well
actually i am still having problems.  This is on a Thinkpad X40; I can
hear input from the mic in the headphones, and with mic boost I can hear
the feedback.  Audacity does not give any input from recording.  Last time
I tried arecord that was silent as well.

So I have not found the solution.  btw I do not use KDE or gnome; this is
X and fvwm2, used mainly in commandline form with alsamixer.

Original interest was in VOIP; it did work in SuSE9.2 but not since 10.2

==John ffitch