On Tuesday 13 March 2007 09:25, pelibali wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Fujitsu Siemens "Mini RF.Mouse" wireless mouse connected to
> my laptop via its own USB dongle. First I used "normal" 1,5V AAA-type
> batteries and max. 2 weeks they were empty. Now I'm using rechargeable
> 1,2V AAAs (850mAh) and they last no longer than 10 days with 1-2 hrs
> of daily work. The system is SUSE 9.1...
>
> My question concerns the following: my brother uses the very same
> type of mouse and his lasts on the Win* platform for 2-3 _months_
> with daily 1-2 hrs of use. We tried to exchange mice, but they
> behaviour the same, so likely no hardware is defected. How this huge
> time difference is possible? We checked also the batteries, but maybe
> the mouse background is also an important point. e.g. I use a pretty
> white and almost flat plate now, where sometimes I see my pointer
> shaking, without even touching the mouse. (This behaviour didn't
> happen on the laptop of my brother, when using _my_ mouse &
> background.)
> In the case of my brother's laptop the USB ports are at the side
> where he uses the mouse (right side), but my Acer has ports only on
> the another, left side. Could that 15cm->40cm (~3x) make such decre-
> ase in the battery life(s)?
>
> Did anyone test the same mouse/battery combo on various SUSE rele-
> ases? Was there some improvement visible? I would be interested
> mainly in a comparison of 9.x and 10.x. The same question as arose
> earlier, is anyone aware of a huge difference between Win* vs. SUSE?
>
> Thanks for any comments/ideas to improve the lifetime of my batteries
> and would also appreciate any weblink on this topic to have a general
> idea, which kind of background would be the best, etc.
>
> Thank you,
> Pelibali

I'm not sure the background has any effect, but you could easily test that--
change it to black for a few days and see what happens.  What I suspect is
the case, is that the software (or firmware) that runs the mouse has a
much higher duty-cycle at your machine, whether it's the BIOS, the
video card,  or Linux, I couldn't venture an opinion.  If you could
temporarily set up Linux on your brother's laptop (the same version you use)
and then test, you could determine. if it's hardware or Linux. If it turns
out to be hardware, you should alert the manufacturers of your machine and
its video card.  (And the mouse!) They will certainly want to know, since most
of their customers are using Windows, where the problem will also exist.  If
it turns out the other way--Linux--you should file a bug report.

--doug