On Tuesday 13 March 2007 8:27 pm, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:

> Could you define what you mean by "fully dynamic DHCP"?  If your DHCP
> server is changing IP addresses constantly, even if it is updating the
> DNS server, it is misconfigured.  It will give out the same IP to the
> same NIC every time, unless its range is too small for the number of
> machines connecting.

In fact I have fixed IP addresses assigned using my router's DHCP
configuration page, but I don't like the idea of counting on that -- it just
seems unnecessarily rigid.  Fully dynamic to me means that your configuration
continues to work no matter how the router decides to assign the DHCP
addresses --- even in the case, say, where you're adding machines to the LAN
or removing them unpredictably.

I wonder -- if I remove all my machines from the LAN for a month (so the
router forgets the configuration) and reconnect them in a different order
than I did originally, will the IP addresses still stay the same?  I thought
the way DHCP works is that when the router sees a machine it hasn't seen
before, it assigns it the lowest available IP number in the DHCP range.

Paul