Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Thanks Joe,
> I do it just like this and indeed it works. This is the "plain great
> unix style" that works anytime.

Glad it also worked for you.
> Now, one question:
> What do you mean by "adding code to fsck"? And what do you achieve doing
> this?

I decided it would be good to make sure the filesystem was always
consistent.  So, not being a programmer, I shamelessly copied the
relevant part of the script in /etc/init.d/boot.localfs to check the
status of the filesystem and fsck it if needed.  I actually put my
backup script together back during 8.2, so I used the code for then.
When 9.3 started automounting, I changed to always umount first, then
fsck, then mount and backup.  With 10.2, I needed to tweak it some to
umount by the dev rather than mountpoint, but other than that it has
worked very well.
> Thanks much for clarification

No problem.  No use in struggling to solved what has already been
solved. :-)

--
Joe Morris