* John Andersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [03-15-07 01:10]:
> On Wednesday 14 March 2007, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> > "sales losses" are quite difficult for a product that is mostly downloaded.
> >
> > The next 10.2 kernel update will include USBFS again btw.
>
> Cool, use support returns for Vmware.  How soon?

posted in this forum 12 Mar 2007:

  Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 16:55:59 -0400
  From: Patrick Shanahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  To: opensuse@opensuse.org
  Subject: Re: [opensuse] Kernel Building Resources & Recommendations

  * Thomas Hertweck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [03-12-07 16:48]:
  [...]
  > As I wrote in my last email, there are several ways to deal with this
  > problem. If you have to support many systems and not just your local
  > desktop system, then the simplest way might be an RPM package that
  > replaces the default usbcore.ko (from the SuSE kernel installation)
  > with a new (your own) version that has USB_DEVICEFS enabled. This  might
  > minimize the possible side-effects as only a single file is changed.
  [...]

  16.55 wahoo:~ > rpm -q --changelog kernel-default | head
  (none)* Fri Mar 09 2007 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  - Enable CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS (#210899 and a zillion others.) Turns
  out that vmware isn't going to change anything, so making our
  users (and executives) have to build their own kernels is not
  something we should be doing.  I was wrong, sorry.

  16:55 wahoo:~ > rpm -q kernel-default
  kernel-default-2.6.18.8-146.1

  --
  Patrick Shanahan                        Registered Linux User   #207535

HOG # US1244711         Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
        OpenSUSE Linux             http://en.opensuse.org/