On Mar 14, 07 11:39:44 -0400, M. Todd Smith wrote:
> Which makes sense because my LDAP user is not part of the video group
> and the perms on nvidiactl look like
>
> crw-rw---- root video

There's a file /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia, which normally reads
options nvidia NVreg_DeviceFileUID=0 NVreg_DeviceFileGID=33
NVreg_DeviceFileMode=0660

AFAIR changing this to 0666 still works on 10.2 and factory.

> To give me the permissions I would like these device nodes created
> with upon bootup (again this is all under the assumption that udev is
> doing something).  Furthermore I've gone ahead and turned on the
> debug mode for udev.  After a reboot searching through /var/log/
> messages brings up nothing regarding /dev/nvidia* and the permissions
> still remain 0660 instead of 0666.

udev creates the device nodes only when the kernel module is loaded. The
kernel module is loaded by the driver.
It used to be the other way round (kernel module is loaded when the
device file is accessed).

HTH

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg   (_   | |  (_   |__          [EMAIL PROTECTED]