On Thursday 15 March 2007 09:01:05 am Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> S Glasoe wrote:
> > Watch out for the kernel 2.6.18.8-0.1 update either during or post
> > update/upgrade. Known issue is that /boot/grub/menu.lst is being
> > changed in ways that are not always user friendly. I advise making
> > backups of /boot/grub/menu.lst to /etc/or /home/some-user before doing
> > the kernel 2.6.18.8-0.1 update.
>
> Make sure you follow the advice in the release notes, i.e.
> Booting Multiple Instances of openSUSE on One System
> If multiple instances of openSUSE 10.2 are installed on one machine and
> the instance in partition 2 is booted from the GRUB in partition 1, the
> entry in menu.lst in partition 1 for partition 2 should contain the
> entry: kernel /boot/vmlinuz
> initrd /boot/initrd
> instead of
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.2-23-default
> initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18.2-23-default
> With this change, it is safe to update the kernel in partition 2 and the
> system can still be booted from partition 1.
>
> I suspect that is the problem you had Stan.  The update worked
> flawlessly here.
>
> --
> Joe Morris
> Registered Linux user 231871 running openSUSE 10.2 x86_64

Nope. Single instance of a single 9.3 install upgraded to 10.2 totally
trashed /boot/grub/menu.lst. I've checked/updated several 10.2 machines and
this happened on all of those. Where I may see a clue is in using the
generic vmlinuz and initrd links to the kernel versus appending the kernel
version. I do believe that 10.2 has been using the appended version number
style. I thought that strange but didn't go change it to vmlinuz and initrd
assuming it wouldn't matter!

Hmmm....

Stan