James D. Parra wrote:
Hello,

I have two identical drives, mirrored as /dev/md0, however I am unable to
carve out mount points on it or put a swap partition on it. One drive is a
system drive and I'd like to mirror it. What is the best way to accomplish
this?

Normally you don't mirror drives, but partitions. I.e., you partition the two drives exactly the same way (hint: use sfdisk -d to copy the partition table) and then produce md-partitions for each pairs of them. Since you already succeeded in creating /dev/md0, I assume that you know how to do this.

The enterprise-class alternative is to use Logical Volume Management (LVM). See http://www.suse.com/en/whitepapers/lvm/lvm1.html and the neighboring lvm2.html for some information.

With that, you make your /dev/md0 into a physical volume (with pvcreate), add it to a volume group (vgcreate), and create several logical volumes (lvcreate) on this group.

The advantage of LVM is that you can later add more disks easily to your volume group (vgextend) and enlarge existing partitions, without being restricted by disk and partition sizes.

The disadvantage of LVM is that it doesn't play well with booting. You are well advised to put /boot into a (mirrored) separate partition.

I hope that gets you started.

        Joachim