Op vrijdag 16 maart 2007 05:29, schreef Kai Ponte:
> The OS/2 machine finished all tasks in about two minutes.
> The Win95 machine finished in half an hour.

I like this comparison, which I did last week because openSUSE felt so much
faster.  Well see for your self:

1. System comparison

Creating 350 files (1 file is create doc, and zip it)

1.1. System 1
2 GHz, 1 GB
LiveCD regular desktop no 3D: 14"
LiveCD desktop with 3D and running on batteries: 15"

1.2. System 2
3 GHz, 2 cpu, 512 MB
2 user sessions running: 30"
2 user sessions running, 1 with a compile going on: 45" - 60"

1.3. System 3
2 GHz, 1 GB
1 GUI nothing else: 4'15"
1 GUI (accessed via ssh) nothing else: 5'30"

1.4. System 4
450 HMz, 382 MB
Without number crunching: 3'30"
Number crunching job going only: 6'40"

System 1: notebook running knoppix
System 2: desktop PC running openSUSE
System 3: notebook running MS XP
System 4: desktop PC running openSUSE

System 1 and 3 are the same system

Ranking:
1: Knoppix on notebook
2: openSUSE on desktop
3: openSUSE on slow desktop
4: MS XP on notebook

An 1 GHz MS XP is slower than a 450 MHz openSUSE system....

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless