On 3/16/07, Paul Abrahams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Friday 16 March 2007 6:59 pm, Sunny wrote:
> On 3/16/07, Paul Abrahams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I want to copy the contents of a partition from a disk drive on one
> > machine to a disk drive on another.  Within a single computer I can do
> > this using the dd command, but it isn't clear how to use that command for
> > networked data transfers.  I'm also wondering about doing the transfer
> > using a USB cable, which probably has a far higher data rate and doesn't
> > have problems with network traffic.
> >
> > Since both machines are laptops, the strategy of physically moving one of
> > the drives to the other machine temporarily isn't feasible.
> >
> > The partition in question is a Windows NTFS partition, and I want the
> > target partition to be bootable, as the source partition is.  That
> > probably precludes any strategy based on file-by-file transfers.
> > However, the question is meaningful no matter what the partition type.
> >
> > Any advice on either the hardware or software issues involved?
> >
> > Paul
>
> This is exactly what you need;
> <http://digiassn.blogspot.com/2006/01/dd-over-netcat-for-cheap-ghost.html>

That explains how to do it using the Ethernet, but how about using a USB
cable?  Is that (a) possible, and (b) faster?

Paul

It can be done: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/248/1

I did not read the article, nor price the special USB network cables
they show.  I'm pretty sure I've read that Linux can do this but it
may only be a Windows trick.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer