On Monday 19 March 2007, Ted Harding wrote:
> So what I was after is whether there exists such an identification of
> this technique that has been around long enough to well-established
> prior art.

Since when is the test "well established prior art"?

Any prior art should suffice.

We used similar structures years ago in maintaining computerized
specification of sequences of laboratory procedures defining
a medical lab "test" (such as a tests for strep throat or rabies, etc)
for a certain State Medical Lab.  The same basic steps are used
in many different test, and we simply carried multiple doubly linked lists
to the sequence of steps.  When viewed from the point of view of
a individual step, you might find dozens if not hundreds of such linked
lists specifying each place in the sequence this step appeared.

This is a basic building block of any relational database.

--
John Andersen