On Tuesday 20 March 2007 08:36, Basil Chupin wrote:

Hi,

> Frank Sundermeyer wrote:

> > as one of the documentation guys at SUSE I would be interested in
> > what manual and chapter you are referring to.
>
> Suse 9.2 Pro Manual, p32, last 2 sentences of last para on that page,
> "Do not forget the root password. Once entered, this password cannot
> be retrieved."

which is perfectly true.

> I interpreted that the way I spelt it out in my original post. Once
> in, nothing can be done about it.
> But my interpretation is wrong 'cause using passwd will change it

Please read the quote from the manual again. The sentence says that you
should not forget your password because there is no way the system will
tell you this root password (unless it is a weak one and you run a
password cracker - but that is a different matter and surely not one we
will document). It says _absolutely nothing_ about changing a password
you know.

retrieve != change

There are at least two locations in the manual describing how to change
a password: the "YaST" and the "Important Linux Commands" chapter.

--
Regards
        Frank

Frank Sundermeyer, Technical Writer, Documentation
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg
Tel: +49-911-74053-0, Fax: +49-911-7417755;  http://www.opensuse.org/
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg)