- ATI radeon mobility X1400 256Mb + Hypermemory
- Nvidia Geforce Go 7300 256Mb + Turbocache

(snip)

Although, I know that Nvidia is generally a better choice for Linux, I do have
a laptop with an ATI X600 card that performs well under OpenSUSE 10.2 (XGL,
beryl, compiz works),

My advice is always opt for nVidia where you can IF you plan on
running the binary drivers.  If you run the OpenSource drivers, then
either card is fine.

I've had very mixed success with ATI (sometimes I get it working first
try and on other systems it never works right), and the general
consensus here and pretty much anywhere is to avoid ATI on Linux if at
all possible.  nVidia (in my case anyway) works every single time when
I use the binary driver RPMs from the repository.

C.