On Tuesday 20 March 2007 14:36, you wrote:
> Clicking in the close box of a window does not send SIGTERM, it uses the
> X event mechanism to inform the process that owns the window of the
> user's action.
        Yup, except that is not what we're talking about here... we don't have
window with an X on it... we have a message saying that Firefox still has a
process running... and the process is either 1) not really running, or 2) has
stopped signal handling. These kind of processes will not respond to a
SIGTERM ever.... waste of time.

> >       kill -9 <PID> is the only way to go in these situations.

> It is never advisable to SIGKILL without first trying SIGTERM unless you
> explicitly mean to thwart the program's clean-up activities.

        Well, semantics aside I suppose it can't hurt anything... but in
practical
experience I've never ever ever seen it work either...  (for this situation).

        But now that we've been talking about it for a few minutes I suppose
there is
the danger that someone would read all this crap and start using kill -9
<PID> as the generic rule... and then our consciences would cause lost sleep
and such... not a good thing... ok, ok, SIGTERM everything!  (no, I refuse to
give in...)   ~SIGKILL

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><