Sunny wrote:
> On 3/22/07, Zhang Weiwu
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 10:22 +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
>>
>> > I am thinking perhaps it's not difficult to set up some software on the
>> > server that do the "routing", e.g. it serve as a call center that both
>> > office login to a VOIP software and it connects to the server, the
>> > server talk to both sides. This is the fastest solution and it should
>> > work. That's only my imagination, I am still searching for such
>> > software.
>>
>> Certainly THIS would work: set up VPN on the server and both office dial
>> into the VPN before they start to use some SIP software. This can solve
>> the problem, but I think it's over complicated.
>>
>> Besides, I never tried VPN on Linux, only did it on Windows: on windows
>> the downside is once a host has dialed up VPN, local network connection
>> is "hidden" for it, that I can no longer access the hosts in the same
>> office that has not yet dialed in the same VPN. This is not acceptable
>> for us.
>>

> If you go with VPN solution you can use openvpn - that way you can
> setup exactly which IPs you want to route trough the vpn, and then any
> p2p VOIP software should work. Plenty of them for linux (including
> GAIM). You can setup Jabber server and use it. servers:
> http://www.jabber.org/software/servers.shtml, clients:
> http://www.jabber.org/software/clients.shtml
>
> Or you can take a look at http://www.asterisk.org/

For me it seems that the bandwith shortage is the first problem to solve
or cope with.

If Skype does not work solely because of bad connections to the Skype
Network, this is ok and you might try with a peer to peer client for
testing, if direct connectivity works better.
A quick google showed IHU (I hear you).  There is also an rpm for 10.2
on packman. The description says, that it works without using any
session protocol.

Otherwise, imho, if Skype does not work ok, hardly anything else will
do, especially not a SIP connection, not to mention multiple concurrent
SIP connections at the same time.

With Asterisk you get a superior PBX Solution that handles anything you
can imagine. So you might benefit from Asterix in your internal networks
at the respective locations, but, sadly, the IAX (Inter Asterix
Protocol), from what I saw, does not offer you better bandwith usage
than SIP, so Asterix might not be the obvious solution to handly your
bandwith issues.
kind regards
Eberhard