2007/3/24, Andre Truter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
On 3/23/07, Danesh Daroui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there any famous, robust and efficient IDE for C++ under Linux
> (SuSE)? I have used gcc for a long time without using an IDE but I need
> an IDE for C++ which I think is supported by gc++ (I am not sure). I am
> using GNOME, so I need something else than KDevelop...

I have been searching long time too, but in my opinion, there's no
such IDE yet. All we got are community built  projects **aiming** to
achieve such description of an IDE. I mean, all we got are baby
projects.

My experience tells me the following:

*KDevelop doesn't present an user-friendly interface because of the
large amount of widgets it have, most of them presenting non-relevant
information to the mean user but to specific group of users. The
simply fact that you have 5 different ways to start the IDE from the
KDE applications menu, gives the impression of a large amount of
redundant information spread all around the GUI. This comment is only
about the GUI, I don't mention the incredible number of times that
I've got **SEGMENTATION FAULT** and program crashes while working with
the IDE. In openSuSE 10.2 I couldn't even to start a project !!!.

Anjuta

Anjuta seems to be a good IDE, but it **only seems** to do it. The
Anjuta's version included in openSuSE since 10.0 it's full of bugs,
although it seems to be its latest "stable" release. I have worked
with it under CentOS and Red Hat and works well, although its
code-completion feature is far from reaching VC7 capabilities, **you
should not move tool bars from its original places because it might
cause the program to crash and never start again** at least you erase
all your configuration files under /home/username/.Anjuta. This seems
to be a problem when the program saves its configuration file, marking
a widget length with negative values. ( This has happened to me
several times).

or
Eclipse with te CDT plugin

It doesn't make sense to run an entire Java IDE just for C++
programming. We all know about Java's memory requirements, and if you
are looking for **efficiency**, this is definitively not a choice, at
least you have a computer with a huge RAM size. There's also a
NetBeans module for C++ programming. But I still think that people
shouldn't try to use a Java IDE for C/C++ programming, indeed, we
should use C/C++ compiled IDEs (e.g. JCreator style) for Java
programming because they are faster and might work well under low RAM
environments.

Furthermore, if you have a 64-bit machine, this might require
additional configuration steps because Sun has not provided a 64-bit
version of their JVM yet and you must use a 32-bit version instead.

or
Ultimate++ (http://www.ultimatepp.org/)

I haven't tried this one. I'll check it out !!!.

**There is also Codeblocks IDE, but is not stable either, and is on a
premature status too.**

**CONCLUSION**

For most of the IDE lovers like me, Anjuta will suit most of your
needs, but this doesn't mean that Anjuta is a good IDE, I think
there's still a lot of work to do on this area for the community.

**This reflects my personal opinion from a Computer Science student
point of view, and a mean knowledge Linux user, and C/C++, Java,
Pascal, & PHP programmer, with different skill levels in each one of
these languages**. I have developed some assignments on this platform,
including one for a Scientific Visualization Research Center at my
campus, (image processing related), and I teach Linux usage (KDE,
OpenOffice, Firefox, &Thunderbird usage) for Government's Computer
Education programs.

So I respect more experienced Linux user's opinion, but I recall that
new programmers move to Linux everyday, and community should establish
information flow channels to the new users (as my pupils for example).

Excuse me Andre for being not aware of the recipient's e-mail address.