On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 11:45 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> The charset only applies to vfat partitions, AFAIK. However... if you have
> created files (the filenames) from apps or terminals using a diferent
> charset like iso or utf, they will be seen diferent on a diferent terminal
> or program.

Hi Carlos,

I built another system with openSUSE 10.2, and as before did no special
charset selections. The same problem occurs on other system that is
completely different. I have been mapping my Data drives like this the
last 2 years since SuSE 9.1, all without this sort of result. I always
used the standard setups from SuSE/SUSE/openSUSE where charsets are
concerned.

These systems are installed with English (US) as Primary language, Eng
(UK) and German as Secondary Languages. Region and Time Zone are Europe
and Germany resp. I have done dozens of systems like this, only have
this problem with Konqueror as Data Manager in Super User Mode, since
installing openSUSE 10.2

This problem only occurs in Konqueror. Stranger is that if I open
Konqueror from the openSUSE main panel with the icon "Home (Personal
Files)", the file names are displayed correctly. When I open Konqueror
as "File Manager - Super User Mode", _then_ the characters are displayed
incorrectly. Can it be root's environment settings?? To check, I went to
"Shell - Konsole" to do a "su -", the file names are shown correctly
here. So the root environment settings seem OK. Any other thoughts are
welcome ...

TIA

:-)
Al