All,

I just saw http://www.cs.umass.edu/~emery/pubs/TFS.pdf

It describes a research effort to modify ext2 to allow the freespace
to be used as a redundant storage solution for large-scale clustered
apps.  (ie. like the SETI app).

As I skimmed the paper, it appears the use of freespace to hold data
means the data will often be overwritten, but since the data is
redundantly maintained on other computers they just let it get blown
away whenever the real user of the computer needs it.

Seems to have little impact on the end users machine performance.

I encourage us as the opensuse community to track the progress.  Maybe
one day this can be incorporated into opensuse with a simple checkbox
during install of if you want to have your machine participate or not.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group