On Tuesday 27 March 2007, Dave Cotton wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 11:48 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> >
> > The Tuesday 2007-03-27 at 00:47 -0800, John Andersen wrote:
> > > Unless combined with full disc encryption finger print readers are
> > > likely just as secure as pins for the purpose of securing your laptop.
> >
> > Absolutely.
>
> I wonder whether the British bank that lost a laptop last week with
> 13000 customer records on it has even thought of any of this? It also
> begs the question why the hell this information was even on a laptop in
> a car?

Well, Full Drive Encryption (built into the drive hardware) is brand spanking
new.  There has been ways to do this after market, but these drives make it
easy because your OS never realizes the drive is encrypted.  Its all taken
care of in hardware.

I presume there is some boot time password requested, but I've never
seen one of these yet.