On Friday 30 March 2007, James Knott wrote:
> > Don't forget the most often overlooked solution - your cell phone.  Most
> > cell pones can attach via a USB port, emulate a serial port, and support
> > the Hayes command set.  Every cell phone I've had I've been able to make
> > a terminal call with (using nothing but the USB cable and minicom).
> >

> While my cell phone includes such a "modem", it uses GPRS, which is an
> extra cost service.

So pay the extra cost.

I use the data service on my cell phone almost as much as voice.
For me its not too expensive for unlimited usage option.

I currently use it for: (in addition to sms mms and voice)

Checking my stock prices - normal phone web browser
Gmail (mobile version - very nice)
IMAP to my company mail server
Google Maps (find and navigate to anywhere while traveling)
Opera Mini - great cell phone browser
MidpSSH client to log in to various servers I manage
Emergency Modem - very rare (War driving is easier)

We recently took a driving trip thru the south western US
with nothing but google maps on a couple cell phones.
No reservations, No fixed Destinations, no maps.

Note this is not a pda I'm talking about, just a cell phone.