> > > I second that!
> > > Although beagled-helper runs with nice of 15 (it is at zero now,
> > > but I remember it was 15 when it was working) it still competes
> > > with other resources. And on a laptop, you want to have complete
> > > control because of the power usage too and maybe set the indexing
> > > when the laptop is plugged in, in addition to a particular time
> > There is an option in the Beagle preferences to turn off all indexing
> > when on battery power.  I believe this is in the version that shipped
> > with 10.2.
> Oh, I see that now. So, this aspect should be covered.
> But the default seems to be to keep search while on battery (at least on
> my desktop; I don't have my laptop with me now) and I would definitely
> suggest this to be reverted, because the hard disk is a big battery
> consumer.

Since Beagle will be indexing only files that just changed,  my
experience is that with sufficient RAM the I/O load increase cause by
Beagle is pretty trivial.  If your system is starved for RAM then of
course if will grind the drives.

A previous message in this thread mentions two machines each with 256Mb!
Of course Zen and/or Beagle thrash such a machine.  Maybe the sanity of
systems with 900MHz/1GHz processors having only 256Mb should be what is
in question.

The openSUSE manual says: "At least 256 MB; 512 MB recommended"  If
someone is at the "least" end of the scale they should expect
concomitant performance.

> > Maybe we can add additional control to this.  What did you guys have
> > in mind?
> OK, here are my thoughts.
> The instantaneous search feature looks cool, but has very little
> practical relevance IMHO.
> I think I'll never really need to search the e-mails, or the IM chats or
> documents I'm writing right now. If I want to search a new document I
> just obtained, usually the built-in search in the document viewer is
> good enough. The only case that comes to mind, when I would need Beagle
> to search something right away, is the case of data mining many new
> docs, such as the 1600 PDFs I mentioned before. Beagle becomes most
> useful when I am trying to find old documents or messages, that I don't
> know where I have placed.

I think this depends on how you use Beagle.  Beagle is most useful if it
is the first place you go rather than trying to browse to a file.  If I
start downloading documents in a web browser, Beagle knows about them,
and their contents, right away.

> For these cases, it would be enough for the
> indexer to run in preset times as a cron job.

You'd have to create  a cron-job for each user;  which would mean the
user would have to be in the cron/at group, etc...  And for laptop users
where the system is erratically booted it would be problematic.

> In addition, right-clicking in the taskbar icon (Kerry in my case)
> should offer the option to start and to stop the deamon immediately.

I agree here.

> This would allow me to have those 1600 new files indexed right away in
> that one case I needed it, while the usual indexing happens when I
> sleep.
> I think these 2 additional features would satisfy the increased control
> that Peter mentioned and I supported above.

I don't think there is any real serious problem desperate to be solved.
It seems to be working very well with minimal impact on systems with
sufficient resources.

> I don't see the size of TextCache as a problem on my desktop, but
> definitely on the laptop, where disk space is tight. May I suggest
> another option in the settings, where I can choose not to keep a
> TextCache (with a nice help info explaining to the user its
> consequences).

Agree.

> Couldn't it also be mildly compressed, so that
> decompression time is negligible, but space requirements are improved?
> Another thing that could definitely be cleaned up is the Log. I have
> logs of a week or so (oldest is March 24) and the Log directory is
> 250MB  big!

My .beagle/Log is a scant 8Mb on my Laptop which I use all the time.

Adam Tauno Williams
Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com
Developer - http://www.opengroupware.org