On 4/2/07, Kevin Thorpe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,
        a little off-topic but I'm looking into replacing our old DDS4 tape
drive which is now too small.

Our choice now looks like LTO, AIT or DLT as our total backup size is now 80Gb.
Has anyone got any good/bad experiences with any of these technologies? I'm
assuming that all will be recognised by SuSE on our servier which has both SATA
and SCSI. What's the cheapest to buy and run?

thanks for any advice

Kevin Thorpe
Purchasing Index Ltd

I use LTO-1 for the last 3 or 4 years.  Compression seems to just
happen.  (ie. 100GB tape holds 200GB compressed).  LTOs have both a
write head and a read head, so everything you write is immediately
written and verified.  i.e No separate verify pass needed.  I don't
remember offhand if AIT/DLT have this or not.

Back with the 2.4 kernels I had to do some special configuration to
get the LTO to work, but with 2.6 kernels it has just worked for me.

FYI: LTO is now the market share leader in this class of tape drive,
so if I were buying today that is still what I would go with.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group