Evan Ingram wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've got a server - p4 3ghz, supermicro 5014c mobo, 2x512 pc3500,
> 2x160GB sata hdd, 16x dvdr etc.
>
> Anyway it was previously running suse9.2 fine. Gone through some changes
> but i tried to upgrade it to 10.0 and it had some issues where the
> installer was saying it was missing packages. I had previously used the
> same installation media on another machine and it worked fine. So i
> thought id do a clean install on it... same problem. Did the check media
> thing during installation and it said it failed md5 checksum. I tried
> the disk on another machine and it installed fine.
>
> I've reset the bios to factory defaults, checked the hard drives by
> plugging them into another machine (OS installed fine onto them), i've
> switched out the dvd drive to a different one, done a memory test. Still
> getting the same problem.
>
> Tried 10.2 and get the same missing packages error on install and md5
> checksum fail. Tried CentOS and it has an error installing packages. I
> tried windows XP (yeahyeah) and it looped during the install, asked me
> for registration key and computer name, installed, then asked for reg
> key and computer name again, installed then booted properly. But it only
> found one of the 2 hard drives.
>
> Can anyone offer any assistance? The hardware is out of warranty now.
>
> regards
> ~Evan
if all else fails with ftp/nfs installation, I would try to copy the dvd
contents to your harddrive and install from there. Maybe you can add
another harddrive temporarily, just for install. Then boot with ex.
Knoppix and move the dvd contents there via the network. Then just boot
into the suse install and use "install from local hardisk" or similar.

regards
Eberhard