El mar, 03-04-2007 a las 16:17 -0400, Jerry Feldman escribió:
> Let's regress a bit. Based on your responses, we know you are an
> experienced user. So, lets try to think of ways that files can be
> deleted or hidden.

Thank you. I said before I was not going to follow the thread, because
of some responses of some people here. But, as you do answer, I will be
not so unkind and not answer too.
You're the first people that have into account and consider my ten years
of linux experience. Thanks, again.

> Is it possible that something might have changed the partition table,

¿"Something"? If it so, don't you think this is not then a very serious
fail of my Linux system?

> so now you are mounting the wrong partitions. I've done that to myself
> a number of times without thinking.

No. That's impossible. I reboot my machine... last time since nearly
four or five months before.
No. Partitions where take place these "ghostly removings" is the /home
directory where I work every day. And sometimes I even change from one
user to another. I have only experienced this with my usual account
user, called "ale" (from my name Alejandro).

> One of the best ways to track this down is:
> 1. Boot to single user with only root mounted.
> 2. foreach partition (use fdisk to list your partitions on all your
> drives).
>       mount partition on /mnt
>       cd /mnt
>       find . -name <a missing file>
>       cd
>       umount /mnt
> This can be tedious, but it is one way to find out if your files are
> still there. Make sure the file you are looking for was definitely
> there previously. Also, by using this method, you can assure yourself
> that you did not inadvertently mount another file system over a
> directory.

But, I repeat again, do you consider a wrong partition mounting, for
instance, that some links are the UNIQUE links removed from time to time
from my Konqueror bookmarks? If so, what a nonsense partitioning I
have!!!

> Just one more question, did fsck report any errors, either before you
> lost your files or after you lost them.

Nop. Last time I reboot, in order to check entire file system, nothng at
all... well, the usual message: "Hard drive has been mounted 266 days
without checking..." or so, you know. It finished quite right.

Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Alejandro.