On Friday 06 April 2007 20:35:44 Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Friday 2007-04-06 at 19:55 +0200, Anders Johansson wrote:
> > > bittorrent does have security: the initial seed or link inlcudes
> > > checksums.
> >
> > Indeed. You can be absolutely sure that the virus you receive is
> > identical to the virus that was sent
> >
> > A checksum isn't security, it is fault protection
>
> Should I remind you that SuSE/Novell uses torrent to distribute the iso
> images of the distribution? Indeed, the "virus" that SuSE distributes is
> the one I have installed in my system, alive and running - it is called
> "opensuse linux"!

That doesn't change the fact that bittorrent in itself doesn't have security.
It also doesn't change the fact that a checksum is not a security feature. It
only helps you ensure that what you get is what the other side sent. In the
end, you're still stuck with the question "do I trust the sender". Bittorrent
doesn't help you with that