On Friday 06 April 2007 22:11, Kenneth Schneider wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 20:16 -0400, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 April 2007 05:24, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > > You do not listen.
> > >
> > > We already told you several times, several people, how to do it, you do
> > > not listen.
> > >
> > > First, define a password as explained already. No, not even root can
> > > enter without a new password for the printer:
> > >
> > >   lppasswd -g sys -a some_admin_username
> > >
> > > Then, for instance, go to
> > >
> > > <http://localhost:631/
> > >
> > > and simply tell your printer to print. Click, click.
> >
> > I did what you said.  I don't know if the pasword really changed or not,
> > but the command http://localhost:611/ produces the reply No such file or
> > directory (running from su root)
>
> http://localhost:631 is not a command it is a web address you enter into
> your web browser to access the configuration pages for printers. Enter
> the username/password you set in the lppasswd command to enter admin
> mode.
>
> --
> Ken Schneider
> UNIX  since 1989, linux since 1994, SuSE  since 1998

Well, the password thing seemed not to have worked.  When I went to the
print manager, and it asked for a password, it burped  and said it didn't
recognise the pw.  I gave it the pw that I put in in the lppasswd dialog, that
you provided above.

Why in hell Linux needs a password to print something that can be seen on the
screen is absolutely beyond me.  And why that password is different from the
root pw is even further beyond me.

I may have to put some version of Windows on the machine so that I can
print out mail that I need for work that I do.  This is ridiculous!

--doug