Since Smart hosed up (hung, quit, froze, whatever) and I killed it with the
kill command, subsequent launches give the warning that the configuration
is read only, even as root. If I use cli (smart --gui --ignore-locks) then it
works.

I have looked in what I thought were the obvious places for a lock file but I
cannot find it. I also searched through the mail list archives and bug
reports for smart to see if anyone else reported the problem but nothing
came back. Anyone have a clue how to fix it?

Thanks,
Fred