On Monday 09 April 2007 04:18, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Sunday 2007-04-08 at 21:57 -0500, dwain wrote:
> > I had just sent an email and there was great hard drive activity after
> > that. I opened Ksysguard and noticed that gzip was running at about 85%
> > and then perl ran.  gzip went away and after that perl.  Do I have a
> > reason to feel paranoid about this strange activity?
>
> I don't think so.
>
> Perl will probably run after receiving an email, due to amavis-new or
> spamassassin analyzing the email, for instance. It might trigger on mail
> sent, depending on the setup.
>
> gzip... it might trigger with the above if the email contained a
> compressed file. Otherwise, it might be just chance that the system was
> compressing a log file, like riccardo said, or any of the similar cron
> tasks around.
>
> There are many activities going about. With time you will recognise their
> work patterns.
>
> --
> Cheers,
>        Carlos E. R.

I appreciate the comfort of your statements form you and Riccardo.  I was
hacked on a Windows system last year and I am more than just a little
paranoid, even though I know that Linux is more secure than Windows.

Dwain
--
Dwain Alford
P.O. Box 145

telephone:  205.487.2570
cellphone:  205.495.5619

"The artist may use any form which his expression demands;
for his inner impulse must find suitable expression."

     Wassily Kandinsky, "Concerning The Spiritual In Art"