On Monday 09 April 2007 01:54, dwain wrote:
> On Sunday 08 April 2007 23:45, M Harris wrote:
> > On Monday 09 April 2007 00:26, dwain wrote:
> > > How do I get to the man pages again?
> >
> >     Actually, they are mostly obsolete...
> >
> >     ... you want to load and use   info   these days....
> >

> >     But if you insist, you can run
> >
> >     man man
> >
> >     You want to know how to use vi...   type
> >
> >     man vi
> >
> >     (or)   info vi
>
> I think I'll try info vi since the man pages are "mostly obsolete".  I
> appreciate your time and effort.  I hope to one day repay the community by
> becoming a productive participant.
>
> Regards,
> Dwain

If you're new to Unix/Linux, and you don't actually _need_VI, then use
something friendly like MC, or pico, or joe.  There's a whole text-book on
VI, and this is not a user-friendly thing, and neither is EMACS, altho the
old Unix hands will tell you it's the only way.  It's not.  If you never
expect to use a real Unix system, fageddaboudit!

(I've probably started a flame war here, but if you investigate for yourself,
you'll find that I'm right.)

--doug