Hello,

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:05:32 +0200 (CEST)
"Carlos E. R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> El 2007-04-10 a las 23:09 +0400, Aaron Kulkis escribió:
>
> > > Yes, I use ionice. But it is not very usefull, only root can use it. For
> > > instance, I have to copy large files, and I'm not really interested in
> > > doing
> > > it fast, rather to be able to keep working on something else at the same
> > > time. So, I fire the copy, find out the pid, then as root I re-io-nice it.
> > > That should not require root priviledges.
> > >
> > > But your idea of changing the scheduler for a whole device sounds
> > > curious.
> > > I usually find kernel documents made for developpers to understand, much
> > > is
> > > assumed to be known already by the reader. There is only one file that
> > > talks
> > > about ionice, and not much.
> >
> > Why not just nice the copy command from the get go...
> >
> > i.e.
> > $ nice cp /file/source/big  /file/destination/copy/here
>
> I do, but it's not "nice" enough
>
> The disk is so busy for a long time when copying a half a gig single file
> that the rest of the tasks are sluggish,
>
> I'm not in a hurry over these operations, I just want to continue working
> as usual.

How about using a Best effort class of "ionice"?
An unprivilege user can set a class data[0-7].
Alternatively, you could use sudo.
e.g. 'nice -n19 sudo ionice -c3 busytask' or if running already then
'nice -n19 sudo ionice -c3 -p `pidof busytask`'.
But, since an io priority is lowered, it usually would take time long.

eshsf