On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 23:29:20 -0400
"Ciro Iriarte" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi, i currently run my main workstation with SuSE 10.1 (X86_64) with
> 2x250GB Sata disks on RAID1, right now i have two arrays, md0 for
> /boot and md1 for lvm. I'm planning to upgrade to 3x500GB SATA disks
> on RAID5 and would like to manage all the space with lvm to make
> things easier (not creating a tiny partition for /boot or having to
> worry about grub when replacing disks). Is it posible to put /boot on
> a pendrive so that i can have grub and /boot out of my way when
> replacing failed disks?
Is it possible, yes if you can boot from a pen drive.
I would certainly not do that..
first, on a hard drive, the boot sector contains a physical address of
the stage1 boot code. The boot process then loads stage1. Stage1 then
loads the specific stage1 for the file system (eg. e2fs_stage1_5) which
then loads /boot/grub/stage2. stage2 then reads the menu.lst (or
grub.conf) and presents the boot menu etc. Since pendrives are normally
FAT devices, the boot should work, but I would not recommend it. I
think you are better off simply setting up a small /boot partition. You
can easily back that up to a pen drive and you can easily boot a
rescue CD.

--
Jerry Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Boston Linux and Unix user group