Hi,

On 4/11/07, Alexey Eremenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I don't really understand, why users need beagle at all ?

Isn't "find" and "locate" serve all the searching purposes on the local PC ?

Anybody can give usage cases for Beagle ?

locate only searches file names.  find, paired with xargs and grep
(and maybe strings), can search inside some files, but not with any
useful metadata.  And both are command-line based.

Beagle indexes the content and metadata of files, emails, IM
conversations, viewed web pages, addressbook contacts, calendar
appointments, etc. etc.

The use case is any time you'd want to search for some abstract piece
of information and don't know where it is.  It's more than just
searching for files -- I often can't remember if something I'm
searching for was in an email conversation, an IM conversation, or in
a document someone sent me.

Some people are inherently organized... I definitely do not fall into
this group. :)  I am a data hoarder -- I have gigabytes and gigabytes
of crap scattered all over the place.  I've personally found Beagle
immensely valuable in searching back through 10 years of email and 5
years of IM logs.

Joe

(Disclosure: I am the maintainer of Beagle. ;)