Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> On 4/12/07, Alexey Eremenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> So I have configured SWAT's "guest account" to be "=root". I believe
>> it should not be too major security problems with this, as it's at my
>> Home, behind a firewall.
>>
> besides the "/" partition is not shared at all. Only "data" partitions
> are shared.

The default configuration gives a basic Windows 95 style access. The
Samba documentation does tell you how to change this. Samba is not easy
in part because one is trying to emulate one system model on top of a
very different model. The samba Howtos do give some basic configurations
for simple access (just cut and paste).

Samba+SWAT  is not really targetted at the home user, but more for sys
admins looking after mixed Windows and Linux environments. SWAT for the
home user is a case of taking a sledgehammer to a walnut.

I also hope that you have port 901 blocked on the firewall as the above
option effectively gives anyone a complete open house on your linux box.
It is quite possible for someone to redefine samba access with SWAT in
such way that they get can get that access.
begin:vcard
fn:Graham T. Smith
n:Smith;Graham T.
adr:Barton upon Humber;;90 Bowmandale;;North Lincs.;DN18 5EA;UK
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel;cell:07876793607
version:2.1
end:vcard